CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Project Numero Uno

I didn't like the color of my kitchen cabinets so I decided to restain them. Had I known how long it would take and the mess involved, I would have just left them. I don't think the original color is horrible, I just thought it would look way better with a different color.

This is how my kitchen looked for almost a full week. The sanding took forever! I already had a palm sander but it broke on me so I bought a new one since I wasn't about to hand sand over half the cupboards. Luckily, Walmart has them for $25 dollars! My kitchen table needs to be resanded so I thought the investmest is more than worth it.


The stain that I used didn't require anything to be wiped off, but it did have to dry for 6 hours between coats. The second coat was giving me issues-the stain was drying faster than the first coat and was really tacky. I think the reason may be because it was an opened can I was using. It was annoying so I opened a second can and things worked out better. Here's the final color.

It's not as dark as I wanted and a little more red than I wanted, but it works. There's definitely room for me to improve my staining technique, but for now, I'm calling it quits!

4 comments:

  1. They look awesome! Wanna come and help me with my cabinets? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. UH-mazing! Hillary was just telling me how insanely impressed she was with the results AND the fact that you got it done so quickly. I'm sharing this on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. tara friend, i LOVE it! you are so amazing with home decorating stuff. they look fabulous. looks like you have a beautiful house. can't wait to come and see it one day!

    ReplyDelete